10 Diet Tips for Prostate Health
Written by Nirogam Ayurveda | March 24, 2020
Most of you may not be knowing what Prostate is. To tell you simply, Prostate is a very important gland. Its function mainly pertains to the reproductive system. The prostate produces a milky-white, thick liquid that becomes a component of the semen ( ejaculated in the act of coitus ).
The location of this gland creates a problem and is very sensitive. Located just below the bladder and in front of the rectum, you should take care that nothing goes awry. This implies that the gland affects both urination and sexual acts.
The Prostate Gland is prone to mainly three conditions, namely:
- Prostatitis. Inflammation of the gland.
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Enlargement of the gland due to aging.
- Prostate Cancer. Growth of cancerous cells inside the gland.
This is why it is very important to keep the gland healthy. We will suggest you ayurvedic treatment if you observe any of the above symptoms. Ayurveda helps to cure such diseases naturally without any side effects.
Below we have shortlisted a few diet tips that can assist you in doing so.
A diet is rich in vegetables, healthy fats, and fruits in order to keep your prostate happy.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes contain Lycopene, which is a good antioxidant. This may be very effective for the gland. When tomatoes are cooked, it becomes easier for the Lycopene to be released and readily available for the body.
- Broccoli. Cruciferous vegetables contain a compound called Sulforaphane. This compound is known to target cancer cells and keep the prostate healthy. Other vegetables that have similar benefits are Bok Choy, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, etc.
- Nuts. Nuts are a storehouse of Zinc, a trace mineral. The prostate gland also contains Zinc is a very good proportion. Zinc balances Testosterone and DHT. Besides nuts, legumes also serve this purpose. However, there is no direct known association of consuming nuts and developing prostate cancer. But the main point is that eating nuts improve your overall mortality. So if it does not pertain specifically to prevent prostate cancer, it surely keeps you healthy.
- Avoid Caffeine. Caffeine is observed to act as a diuretic. This means that it may increase your urge and frequency of urinating. Excessive and frequent urination makes you prone to benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cutting back on coffee and other beverages like tea, soda, etc. can prevent you from BPH. Please be careful as when we say ‘caffeine’, we DO NOT mean coffee! The mentioned effects have been because of Caffeine.
- Don’t be salty. High sodium intake may increase the occurrence of signs that pertain to BPH. Avoid adding salt to a few meals that can work fine without it. Not just for the prostate, high salt is very dangerous even for the blood pressure. High blood pressure has a health risk which is also related to BPH. For the same reason, you should avoid processed foods as they contain good amounts of salt (which increases their shelf lives).
- Berries. The damage that builds up over a period of time is termed as “oxidative damage”. This is caused by the ‘oxygen free-radicals’ which are a byproduct of metabolic processes. This again increases the risk of prostate malfunctions. Berries are a vital source of antioxidants, that help to neutralize the impact of these free radicals. Strawberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, etc. should be regularly consumed.
- Be fishy. Certain kinds of fish contain ‘good fats’ that prevent inflammation in the body. Unfortunately, inflammation in and around the prostate gland is a condition that may pave the way for cancer to take hold. In order to avoid this situation, healthy fats like Omega 3s are very essential. These are not produced by the body and hence are to be obtained through external sources. However, not all fatty fish solve the purpose. In fact, some may even work the opposite. Be sure to get complete knowledge about the kind of fish you are planning to consume.
- Go Green with your Tea. Another important source of antioxidants is Green tea. The leads contain Catechins, that are multiple antioxidant compounds. They are believed to be anti-carcinogenic (preventing cancer) and anti-mutagenic (preventing good fats from mutation). Men who consume green tea on a daily basis have a lower risk of prostate cancer.
- Reduce the consumption of dairy products. Men who regularly consume dairy products like – milk, yogurt, and cheese; have a greater risk of developing prostate cancer. This is because of the hormone-insulin-like growth factor, saturated fats, and a good amount of calcium they contain. Although, the risk is not a mammoth-sized risk but reducing these products should not do much harm to your diet. Why have even a tiny bit of doubt in this case?
- Oranges, Lemons and other citrus fruits. Citrus fruits help by providing protection against DNA-damaging free radicals. This is because they contain hundreds of bioactive compounds which include flavonoids and monoterpenes. These types of fruits are also known to slow the development of prostate cancer.
Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet equips you to prevent and prepare for any consequences related to prostate malfunctions. In case you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer, following the above-mentioned dietary suggestions can provide your body with the required strength and will to recover. Such food items also reduce the risk of these issues replacing in the future. It is clearly best to stay aware and eat healthy from the very beginning.