Metal Iron vs. Aluminum Fence
Written by James Cook | August 1, 2022
With two popular types of fences available, how do you know which one to choose? In this blog, we’ll be focusing on Metal Iron vs. Aluminum Fence. There are many things to consider before choosing a style for your backyard. This blog will break down the benefits of both metals and what you might want to take into account in your decision-making process.
There’s a lot more to it than just aesthetics, including price, installation process, and durability. We’ll be focusing on the pros and cons of both metals, but you’ll want to make an educated decision that best fits your family, needs, and budget.
Metal Iron vs. Aluminum Fence: What’s the difference?
First up is aluminum. Aluminum is a lustrous metal that was discovered in 1825. It’s a soft, highly conductive metal, and one of the most abundant elements in the earth’s crust. It’s the second most abundant metal in the earth’s crust, occurring in abundance in ores. It’s used as raw material for aluminum production, and it’s an essential element found in most life forms.
The second metal that we’ll be discussing today is iron. Iron is a heavy, bluish-gray metal. It exists primarily as either a gaseous or a solid state. It’s used primarily in construction – for playsets and fences, for instance. It’s also used to produce steel, which is another metal that many people are familiar with.
- For safety reasons, it is very important to have guards or fences around your home and property. This can be made out of various materials. Iron is a traditional choice as it is stronger and harder to break but Aluminum Fence has now become a popular option as it’s safer, cheaper, and easier to work with than iron.
- Aluminum has been the standard fence choice for many years. It is a durable option that is often used in commercial settings as well as homes. Aluminum is very resistant to corrosion and weather conditions so it will last for a very long time. In many cases, aluminum fences do not require any maintenance or upkeep at all.
- It is easy to cut, weld, and paint. Aluminum is lightweight, making it an excellent choice for those with limited mobility. With its low price tag, it can even be a good choice for lawn installation. Many people find that aluminum fences are also very attractive.
- Aluminum fences are incredibly versatile and can be installed in numerous ways. It can be cut to fit any garden or yard, as long as you have the right tools to do the job (after all – it’s just metal). It can be used in many different designs, such as picket fences, rail fences, privacy fences, and paneling.
- Aluminum is an attractive option that comes in an array of styles and colors. There are several options for coloring aluminum including painting, powder coating, and anodizing. Powder coating and anodizing add layers of protection to the aluminum fences so they will last longer due to their resistance to corrosion. Painting usually doesn’t provide the same lifespan or durability as other coatings do.
- Aluminum fencing is available in a variety of sizes, making it easy to find the right fencing to fit any area. The wiring of the aluminum fence can be easily cut and shaped to fit any size or width. This makes it a good choice for homeowners who like to customize the design of their homes with their own choices.
- Aluminum is a great low-cost option that works in many settings (including commercial settings) even if it isn’t installed by a professional.
- Aluminum is easy to install, making it a great do-it-yourself project. It can be cut using hand saws and can be shaped using a variety of tools.
- The main reason why people prefer aluminum fencing is that it is more durable when compared to iron. It is also lighter and easier to work with. It does not rust and requires less maintenance.
- Aluminum is an alloy of aluminum and other metals like magnesium, zinc, or copper which makes it stronger than iron but also lighter in weight. Its main feature of being lightweight makes it easier to install which means the iron fence doesn’t require as much installation work as well.
- The aluminum fence is known for its strength and durability. It can’t rust and that means it doesn’t need to be repainted again and again to protect the surface. It can easily be polished to remove any scratches or dents, which again makes it a preferred material to make fences.
- Fences made out of iron are usually very heavy as they are made of pure iron. Due to their weight, they usually require a number of supports on the wall or posts every 2-3 meters in order to keep them steady. This means that in case there is any damage to the fence, the repair work also involves a replacement of the supporting posts as well. This makes it very inconvenient and time-consuming which is why people are choosing aluminum fencing over iron fences.
- It requires less maintenance than iron fencing because aluminum fences don’t have to be painted on a regular basis. You usually have to repaint an iron fence at least once every few years or so in order to keep it looking new and shiny. Although aluminum will discolor due to ultraviolet light, it is very easy to remove this and restore the original shine by using a degreasing cleaner.
- As an added security feature, people can opt for an electronic or manual gate opener along with aluminum fencing. This way you don’t have to worry about any unsafe entry into your home.
The aluminum fence is clearly superior, as can be seen from the debate above. An aluminum fence is the one to choose over an iron fence. Aluminum fences are much lighter, cheaper, and easier to clean than iron ones. Aluminum fences have fewer maintenance requirements than iron ones. They repel elements like rain, wind, and even saltwater with little effort because of the material which they are made; aluminum fences also don’t rust or corrode in any way when put under extreme weather conditions.